Employee Compensation and Benefits - 2018
Field of Study:
The various ideas, methods, and techniques to optimize the overall compensation package for key employees and principals are examined in this mini-course. Generally, businesses may deduct employees’ pay including wages, salaries, and other perks. Certain fringe benefits that can provide an unusually tax favored manner of supplementing compensation are described and evaluated. In addition, equity participation is explored through stock sales, repurchase agreements, incentive stock options, ESOT’s, stock options, and bonuses. Finally, deferred compensation arrangements are investigated. The goal of this mini course is to provide participants with a working knowledge of types of compensation necessary to structure a compensation package minimizing tax liabilities and cost.
After completing this section, you should be able to:
- Identify the common-law rules used by the IRS to determine whether a person is an employee for purposes of FICA, FUTA and federal income tax withholding.
- Recognize employee and officer compensation deductibility factors and the related employment taxes and reporting obligations to ensure compliance with regulations.
- Identify fringe benefits noting those that provide deductible incentive based employee compensation.
- Specify the equity incentive opportunities available to employers showing the variety, tax treatment, and use of stock plans.
- Recognize the use of deferred compensation agreements to attain compensation and retirement objectives.
Recommended CPE credits:
Type of delivery method:
Final examination expiration date:
The program participant will have one year from the date of purchase to complete the course and final examination.
Web CPE is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website: www.NASBARegistry.org.